Bolckow and Vaughan created this plaque to commemorate their 670 employees who died in the Great War. It was made by C.F. Mundell and Company, Tees Joinery Works, Marsh Road, Middlesbrough.Each plaque is split up into the works or mine they originated from, zooming in on Flickr will allow you to read every name.
Middlesbrough Office, Middlesbrough Works, South Bank Works
West Auckland Colliery, Shildon Lodge Colliery, Byers Green Colliery, Newfield Colliery, Black Boy Colliery, Auckland Park Colliery
Leasingthorne Colliery, Westerton Colliery, Dean & Chapter Colliery
Newlandside Quarry, Eston Mines, North Skelton Mines, South Skelton Mines, Belmont Mines
The plaque is currently on display at Kirkleatham Museum
With the bad weather and low temperatures we’re experiencing, the Kirkleatham Owl Centre have made an appeal for supplies. In particular old blankets, towels, straw and wood shaving to help them keep the animals warm and dry.
Here’s a rescued hedgehog in my old picnic rug.
In winter they are open to the public 11am to 3pm Thursday to Sunday.
This sundial was unveiled by Baroness Dean, chairman of the Housing Corporation on 13th March 2002 on the offical re-opening of the Almshouses after their renovation.
The oak tree replaces an older elm which was planted in 1755 in the memory of Tom Brown, apparently marking the site of his fathers cottage.
Tom Brown was born in Kirkleatham in 1705, he is known for his role in the Battle of Dettingen which took place on 27 June 1743 in Bavaria during the War of the Austrian Succession.
His regiments standard was captured and while recovering it he received terrible injuries to his face including his nose being cut off. He is said to have been given a silver nose by King George II.
He retired to Yarm with a pension of 30 shillings from the King, as two shots from the battle could not be safely removed from his back, he died there in 1746.
Some account state he was knighted on the battle field by the king although this could be doubtful, as could the date of his birth, there some investigation on this here
Update 2013 : Located a photo of the damaged original
This sign for Vansittart Terrace sits on what is now Coatham Road
Coatham Road came into existance around 1935 when Portland, Victoria, Cleveland, Bentinck, Vansittart and Theresa Terraces were combined.
Henry Vansittart (10 July 1784 – 22 April 1848) married Teresa Newcomen the widow of Sir Charles Turner and gained Turner’s Kirkleatham estate.
Oxgang Bridge was on what is now Plantation Road and is marked on every Ordnance Survey map since the first edition, it is where Roger Dyke / West Dyke passes under the road between Marske and Kirkleatham.
I took these photos on an evening in 2007 in poor light and always intended to get better photo and find out something more about the bridge, at this point just the sides of the bridge were visible.
Since that time the side have also been removed leaving no trace of the bridge, although presumably the rest of the structure is still buried under the road.
Also of interest is the Fever Hospital and mortuary just upstream which is now the site of the Grewgrass Lodges
Charles Acklam Tyreman was killed in the Eston Ironstone mines on September 2nd 1907 aged 23
He was kirving (a coal mining term for undercutting) in the bottom part of the seam when a piece of stone suddenly burst away from a natural break in the upper part of the seam, and, falling upon him, caused fatal injuries.
Esther Cleveland (September 9, 1893 – June 25, 1980) was the daughter of American president Grover Cleveland, she is the only child of a President to have been born in the White House.
Esther married Captain William Bosanquet in 1918, who became the manager of Skinningrove Iron Works after fighting in the First World War, they lived in Kirkleatham Old Hall which is now a museum.
This 1934 newspaper article from America newspaper pictures her outside the Hall, Esther returned to America in 1966 after the death of her husband and is buried in New Hampshire
Their daughter was the British philosopher Philippa Foot.