Anyone who has read the “Cleveland Mining Incidents” series of books will know the injuries sustained underground could be horrific.
Bulmers directory of 1890 list the following staff
Miners’ Hospital – Messrs. Merryweather & Dunn, medical officers
Kellys directory of 1909 lists the following staff
Skelton Cottage Miners Hospital – John Thorner. LRCP Edin, Surgeon.
Skelton Cottage Miners Hospital – Frederick P Wigfield MB, Surgeon.
Skelton Cottage Miners Hospital – Miss Clara Baldwin, Matron.
The hospital built inÂ 1883Â is now a private residence.
This little gem is hidden away in nettles at the top of Lawns Gill, the spring was the water supply for Skelton Castle. Old OS maps call it Spring Head.
The inscription reads :-
Leap from thy cavern’dÂ mossy bed,
Hither thy prattling waters bring
Blandusia’s Muse shall crown thy head
And make thee too a sacred spring
Some attribute the wordsÂ to John Hall Stevenson eccentric playboy owner of Skelton Castle, it is said the “Crazy Castle” in his “Crazy Tales” is Skelton. The are numerous tales ofÂ his exploits such as not getting out of bedÂ when the wind was blowing from the east and racing roman chariots on Saltburn beach.Â His group of friends knows as theÂ â€œDemoniacsâ€ sounds like an interesting bunch with names such as Rev. â€œPantyâ€ Lascelles and Zachary Moore
Other attribute the words directly to Stevensons friend and fellow â€œDemoniacâ€Â Laurence Sterne, author of Tristram Shandy in the 1760s. There are other Sterne links as just to the North East of Skelton Castle are areas known as Sterne’s Seat and Mount Shandy.
In the stream are the footings for a rail bridge which connected Waterfall Ironstone mine to the branch for Skelton Park and Skelton Shaft mines.
A number of rails presumably originally from the bridge appear to have been reused to strengthen the bank on the right.
Originally a corn mill, the building was converted for the manufacture of Roman Cement around 1811 (a hydraulic cement which can set underwater) , a drying kiln can be seem to the rear of the building.