The Methodist chapel in Skinningrove dates from 1873 and is still active today.
Northern Echo – Wednesday 30 July 1873
PRIMITIVE, METHODIST CHAPEL AT SKINNINGROVE. FOUNDATION STONE LAYING. The ceremony of laying the foundation of a new Primitive Methodist Chapel at Skinningrove took place on Monday. For many years the Primitive Methodists conducted services alone in Skinningrove. When there were little more than a dozen houses they held cottage meetings, and it has had a place on the circuit plan for thirty years. When, through the enterprising firm of the Messrs. Pease, the population had increased to near 1,500, it was felt that this long toil should not be thrown away, but that there should be a fresh effort to meet the spiritual requirements of the population, and a site was generously granted by the late Earl of Zetland, The day being fine, there was a large gathering, and a procession, composed chiefly of working men, sang through the streets. The Rev. W. BAITEY, superintendent, began the service by giving out a hymn. The Rev.J. Wilson, Congregational minister, offered prayer. The Rev. J. G. Binney, from the Theological Institute, recently appointed as second minister, read suitable portions of scripture. The Rev. W. BAITEY, addressing Mr. W. Cockburn, who had kindly consented to lay the stone, remarked that it gave them all pleasure to see Mr. Cockburn in their midst, with his excellent lady, and likewise Mr. Francis. Mr. Cockburn had been permitted, through the providence of God, to aid in laying the foundation of a thriving industry in many village, and memorials of his devising mind would be found when he was gone. Today, he came to aid in laying the foundation of another house of prayer. Mr. Baitey then handed to Mr. Cockburn a bottle to enclose in the stone, and a silver trowel and mallet. The bottle contained a copy of the Primitive Methodist paper the Northern Echo of that day; the .British Workman, having a, portrait of Gurney Pease, Esq.; lines written by Mr. Horsley on the death of Charles Pease, Esq., a Circuit Plan, the names of the Trustees, and Members in Society, letters of Mir. Cockburn and Mr. Francis expressing their readiness to assist in the undertaking, and which, if ever exhumed, which they might be after cenrturies have gone by, all show how worthily the early managers of the firm represented the well. known spirit and principles of the masters. There was also a short record of those who took part in the services, and gratitude expressed to Mr. D. Trotter and Mr. D. Maclean, agents of the Earl of Zetland, for their kind assistance.
Mr Cockburn next deposited upon the stone a cheque for 10 shillings. Mr. J. Tyerman, a working man, and one whose devoutness is known in all the villages round about, laid on the stone the handsome donation of 5 shillings. Numerous other donations were laid on the stone, from two pounds to the child’s sixpence, making a total of over 38 shillings. Nearly 300 sat down to tea in the old School-room. The evening meeting was presided over by Mr. W. Cockburn, who spoke of our intellectual, social, moral, and spiritual duties. Other gentlemen and ministers also addressed the meeting. The total proceeds of the day amounted to about 60 shillings. The building is a Gothic structure. The architect is T. Southron, of South Shields.
St Andrews Mission at Thornaby is still a functioning church, their website states that St.Andrews was a mission station started by the much larger Presbyterian Church in Stockton, originally as a Sunday School. When the Presbyterian Church and the Congregational Church joined together, it became part of the United Reformed Church
The date stone above the building carries the date 1893, it cost about £950 and could seat 200.
One foundation stone was laid by Mrs Bouge of the Manse on October 1st 1892, presumably the wife of Rev. J Bogue
The second stone is heavily eroded and difficult to interpret, but my research shows it to be Mrs G Y Blair who laid the stone. That would be the wife of George Young Blair who managed the Fossick & Hackworth Locomotive Engine Works which he came to own after 1866 as Blair and Co. who manufactured marine engines.
The Northern Echo from Monday 03 October 1892 report on the events in full.
Kirkbymoorside’s Market Cross is unusually one street behind the main market place.
Nothing remains or anything that may have one stood on top.
It’s listed building entry gives little information other than its probably 17th century and made of sandstone
Stump Cross stands a few hundred meters to the east of Danby Beacon at the junction of two medieval trackways.
Stonegate which runs from the village called Stonegate to Danby Beacon and Leavergate which runs from the Danby Beacon towards Easington.
It is thought the original cross shaft was longer and only the broken ‘stump’ remains, although given its current name of ‘Stump Cross’ that break must have happened in the distant past.