More Steve Iredale carvings are to be found on the west side of the lake.
Some acorns near the entrance to the park
A newt from a tree stump
A heron dedicated to Terry Ward
The Friends of Fairy Dell are still an active group if you want to lend your support
Bolckow and Vaughan operated a shallow mine between 1914 and 1920 in a small pocket of isolated ironstone.
The standing building is an electrical substation, while a totally collapsed and flooded drift entrance can be found next to it.
This shop facade is a listed building dating from around 1900.
The design featuring a sailing ship certainly put the current sign to shame.
A planter for flowers and a bench are placed close to the location of the mine in Dunsdale (which was actually known at the Kirkleatham mine)
The mine was actually a drift mine so wouldn’t have had the head-frame suggested for a shaft mine, but its good the history is remembered.
The bench depicts a miners lamp.
The actual entrance to the mine is only about 100m SE in the woods, but its collapsed just a few meters inside.
John Dodshon (1811 – 1875) was a local Quaker philanthropist and president of the Temperence Society. This fountain was erected by public subscription in 1878
The fountain was moved to Ropner Park around 1892 because fish sellers were using it to clean and store fish
It was restored in 1992 and then moved back to the High Street (in a slightly different location) in 1994
Consecrated on December 22th 1835 with a 200ft high steeple, the building ran into trouble in the late 1950s when its steeple was found to be unsafe and in need of £20,000 of repairs, so had to be dismantled.
More financial troubles and falling congregations lead to the church finally closing in 1982
The Greek Orthodox church took over in 1985 but the church was unfortunately plagued by vandalism, including the destruction of its valuable organ.
The final straw came on October 1 1991 when the building was destroyed by fire
St Johns Well (48 Bridge Road) is said to be the first railway ticket office in the world, although there are some doubts to the truth of this claim as passengers may have bought their tickets at inns, as they would have with a stagecoach.
The building carries a plaque which commemorates the laying of the first rail of the Stockton & Darlington railway by Thomas Meynell of 23rd May 1822
This row of buildings are standing in the position of two buildings that appear on maps of Marton from 1764 onwards. Although much altered, it is possible that they are both the original buildings. You can see that the last bay window portion of the single story dwelling is a later addition.
This row of buildings is at the heart of the west village and look onto what is now the green. The buildings closest to the camera occupy very old plots and are on the 1840 Tithe map. One house was rented by Margaret Harker, a shopkeeper and the other by Thomas Whitfield, a Cartwright. Thomas Whitfields house was partly surrounded by a field to the rear and it is quite possible that he worked from there. The rest of the row appear on the later maps of 1894.
This row of houses was erected by H.W.F. Bolckow to replace those that he had knocked down when building his Hall and gardens. The church of St Cuthbert is just beyond the last house in the distance.
The Stewart Park and Marton History Group was a small local history group that now, no longer meets . It had a website that was in the process of being updated with local history when the group disbanded and these are the pages that survived.
The lasting legacy of the group is the graves of Bolckow and Vaughan in Marton Churchyard, a project the group started and fund raised for and it eventually came to be, through the work of Middlesbrough Environment City.